RYA Cruising Instructor Sail Course
The RYA Cruising Instructor Course is the entry level for any Yachtmaster who wants to begin teaching yachting.
To pass this you will need to be able to give convincing demonstrations up to a Day Skipper level student of any part of the syllabus. Weak areas are often the knowledge of the collisions rules, navigation and meteorology.
There is no point in arriving for an instructor’s course if you are not completely happy with your ability to teach tidal height calculations or working out the course to steer. Remember that your students may have just spent the last 5 days in the classroom perfecting their theory skills, some of them will be very good, even at Day skipper level. Anyone who is serious will do the necessary work prior to the course.
Another area that requires work is close quarters sailing skills, sailing on and off of buoys and returning to a floating object under sail. I would expect a convincing demonstration of sailing man over board recovery from any instructor.
It is recommended that Yachtmaster candidates have the latest edition of the cruising logbook and Instructor’s Handbook.
- Course Type: Practical and Theory
- Required Experience: Commercially Endorsed Yachtmaster Offshore and above level
- Assumed Knowledge: Navigation, Meteorology, Collision Regulations, Safety and Passage Planning up to Yachtmaster and above standard
- Course Content: Instructing techniques for delivering Start Yachting, Competent Crew and Day Skipper Courses.
- Ability After Course: To be able to instruct students from Start yachting courses, Competent Crew and Day Skipper..
- Duration: 5 Days
- Cost: On Enquiry