RYA Powerboat Level 1
This 1-day course provides the skills and background knowledge needed to drive a powerboat and is the basis of the International Certificate of Competence. It includes close quarters handling, high-speed manoeuvres, man overboard recovery and collision regulations. Our course has the added advantage of being endorsed for coastal waters & gives you both the RYA & ICC qualifications.
This courses can be taken either onboard a centre’s boat or your own boat, although different prices apply. The RYA’s National Powerboat Scheme is for those who use small, open powerboats for leisure or work, whether for their own sake or in connection with another activity such as sailing or rescue. The scheme comprises a series of practical courses which can be complemented by our navigation courses and other one-day support courses.
Use them simply to increase your knowledge and confidence, or as a progression to the RYA/MCA Certificates of Competence which are recognised by maritime authorities worldwide. Our course takes place over two days. By taking your course at our training centre you can expect to be taught by an experienced, qualified instructor on seaworthy boats with a maximum of 3 trainees (depending on the level of course).
Children aged between 8 and 11 are able to take the Level 1 course, and once they are 12 they can take the Level 2 course. Their certificates will be endorsed to show that they must use boats only under the supervision of a responsible adult. Please note this course is not suitable for anyone suffering from back, knee or neck problems or another condition resulting in the inability to hold on tight.
The maximum ratio instructor/attendee determined by the RYA quality standard is 1/3 and applies for standard and ‘own boat’ tuition.
- Course Type: Theory & Practical
- Required Experience: None
- Assumed Knowledge: None. Minimum age 8. Candidates under the age of 16 will be issued an endorsed certificate.
- Course Content: Launching and preparing the boat, basic boat handling and returning to shore. Background theory.
- Ability After Course: Increased knowledge and confidence, or as a progression to the RYA/MCA Certificates of Competence which are recognised by maritime authorities worldwide.
- Duration: 1 day