RYA Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased
Advanced training for more experienced skippers building on the RYA Coastal Skipper course. This course equips you to navigate safely on ocean passages. It allows some time for revision of the basics and then moves on to advanced navigation techniques.
This course will take your theory knowledge to the standard required for the RYA Yachtmaster Ocean, concentrating on advanced navigation and meteorology skills.
As with the Yachtmaster Navigation shorebased course, the RYA’s specially designed chart plotter software will be used during the course to give you a realistic taste of modern electronic navigation.
Students in the southern hemisphere can take advantage of the southern hemisphere version of our training materials, ensuring that your course is relevant to you.
The course is taught over 40 hours with three exam papers. Intensive week-long course.
Course topics include:
- Position fixing
- Course shaping and plotting
- Tidal knowledge
- Use of almanacs and admiralty publications
- Electronic position finding equipment
- Taking and interpreting forecasts
- Plotting weather systems
- Weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- Collision regulations
- Customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad
- Course Type: Theory
- Required Experience: Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore Navigation
- Minimum Duration: 40 hours (16 evenings or five days)