RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased
Advanced training for more experienced skippers building on the RYA Day Skipper course.
This course equips you to navigate safely on coastal and offshore passages. It allows some time for revision of the basics and then moves on to advanced navigation techniques.
This course will take your theory knowledge to the standard required for the RYA Coastal Skipperand RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased practical exams, concentrating on advanced navigation and meteorology skills.
As with the RYA Day Skipper Shorebased course, the RYA’s specially designed chart plotter software will be used during the course to give you a realistic taste of modern electronic navigation.
Students in the southern hemisphere can take advantage of the southern hemisphere version of our training materials, ensuring that your course is relevant to you.
The course is taught over 40 hours with three exam papers. Intensive week-long course.
Course topics include:
- Position fixing
- Course shaping and plotting
- Tidal knowledge
- Use of almanacks and admiralty publications
- Electronic position finding equipment
- Taking and interpreting forecasts
- Plotting weather systems
- Weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- Collision regulations
- Customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad
- Course Type: Theory
- Required Experience: Day skipper Navigation knowledge
- Assumed Knowledge: Day skipper Navigation knowledge
- Course Content:
- Ability After Course:
- Duration: 48 hours (16 evenings, 2 weekends or 5 days)
- Cost: €595 including charts, books, course notes, exercises and tea or coffee.
To get the most out of doing a Navigation course like this it is best to follow it up with either a practical Sail or Power Cruising course. Also having VHF Short Range Radio, First Aid, Diesel engine or Sea Survival done can be beneficial as you can develop these skill in parallel with your other Skipper Skills.